International Students enhances all of us at Edmonds College. You strengthen our diverse community on campus and in our neighborhoods. Here is some information to assist you if you are an International Student (F1 Visa) applying to work in the Center for Student Engagement & Leadership.
1. Visit our Current Job Openings page and browse through the open positions descriptions and requirements.
2. Gather and review the following documents as you will need them to apply to any of the positions:
- Resume (List all relevant education, training, and experience you possess)
- Cover Letter (Letter of Interest)
- Letter of Recommendation (Optional)
- Unofficial Transcript (Students must currently have at least a 2.5 Cumulative Minimum GPA or a previous institution's transcript for students new to Edmonds College)
TIP: Gather these documents before you begin filling out the online application. If you need assistance with your resume and/or cover letter, please check out the Resume and Cover Letter Resources page.
3. Receive a Letter of Hire or Offer of Work via email.
4. Accept the position.
All international students must have a social security number to work on campus. Similarly, DACA (Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals) students need to have an authorized work permit for the time period of August 27, 2020-June 15, 2021.
Here is the process:
- Student is offered a position on the Edmonds College campus
- Student gives Office of International Programs (OIP) a letter (it must be printed
on Edmonds College letterhead) from their new supervisor confirming they have a job.
Student fills out a “Letter Request Form”, online.
- After OIP receives the letter request, a letter is created confirming the student attends Edmonds College. This letter AND the employment confirmation letter must be given to the Social Security Office.
- OIP staff contacts the student to pick up the letters and a social security application
packet and provide assistance of what documents to bring to the Social Security Office.
Important Note: Students are responsible for working on obtaining an appointment with the office as soon as possible. Students must also be in the state of Washington to complete the process.
I. In most cases the student will receive their Social Security card within seven (7) to fourteen (14) business days.
II. For first-time social security applicants, the process to from scheduling an appiontment, attending the appointment, and complete the Edmonds College onboarding process can take several weeks. We highly advise international students to start the process as soon as they get a letter of hire.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per quarter
- Have a minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA and a minimum of 2.0 GPA per quarter
- Pay all Fees (if you owe)
- Have in Good Standing with Edmonds College
Human Resources Required Paperwork:
- Original Passport, I-20 Document, I-94 Document
- Required background check [HR will do this}
- W-4, Demographic Form, Direct Deposit Form (Optional), DRS Form, [HR will provide these]
- International Students are only allowed to work on Edmonds College campus, except with employment authorization from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for curricular or optional practical training (OPT). International students interested in working can contact an Office of International Programs Advisor for more information and to check eligibility.
- During the quarter, students can work a total of 19 hours per week.
- Students may also work full time on campus (up to 40 hours per week, no more than 8 hours per day) during breaks and approved vacation quarters.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. OIP is here to help.