International Students are imperative to our campus community and surrounding neighborhoods, as they are when being leaders in the Center for Student Engagement & Leadership. We encourage all International Students (F1 Visa) to apply to our student leadership positions and hope the information provided will assist you in navigating the process from beginning to end.
- Begin the application process by visiting our Current Job Openings page, and browse through the descriptions and requirements of the open positions.
- Select position(s) to apply.
- Gather and update the following documents as they are the most common components CSEL positions will ask for:
Resume | A formal document a candidate creates to illustrate and describe their qualifications for the position and previous experiences.
Cover Letter | A written document about the candidate’s credentials and interests in applying; usually furthers or elaborates what is already on the resume.
Class Schedule/Unofficial Transcript | Students must currently have at least a minimum of 2.5 Cumulative GPA or a previous institution’s transcript for new students at Edmonds College).
Letter of Recommendation (Optional) | Students are welcome to submit a faculty, staff, or mentor’s letter of recommendation elaborating their abilities and previous experience.
TIP: If you need assistance with your resume or cover letter, please check out the Resume and Cover Letter Resources page.
The Center for Student Engagement & Leadership strives to open the next academic year’s
positions in February and have them open until April (or until all positions have
been filled). During this time, it can take 3 to 7 weeks to hear back from the Professional
Staff. If you are applying outside of this window, the Professional Staff usually
will reach out as soon as they can with the next steps and information on the process.
Summer 2021 Update: For the 2021-2022 Academic Year, the CSEL Professional Staff are still accepting applications for various positions. To check out the complete list, please visit our Current Job Openings page.
All international students must have a social security number to work on campus. Similarly,
DACA (Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals) students need to have an authorized work
permit for the period of August 25th, 2021, through June 30th, 2021.
To obtain the necessary documentation:
- Students must first receive and accept an offer to work or position at Edmonds College.
- After you have accepted the position, you will be provided with a “Hire Letter” students need to submit to the Office of International Programs (OIP) via their “Letter Request Form.”
- Once submitted, students will receive an appointment slot from OIP to pick up your
“Confirmation Letter” and Social Security Application Packet, confirming your new position and attendance at Edmonds College. During your appointment,
the office will provide additional information and assistance scheduling and visiting
our local Social Security Offices near campus.
- Students must schedule and submit all documentation (the hire letter, confirmation letter, and social security packet) to the Social Security Office. You should receive an appointment slot to visit them in the upcoming weeks.
TIP: As of Summer 2021, the Social Security Office is still scheduling appointments 4-10 weeks in advance. We highly recommend filling out the application and acquiring your appointment as soon as possible. Students cannot work or volunteer until they have received their card in the mail and finish the onboarding process.
Once you have received your social security card in the mail, you are ready to proceed
to the onboarding process. The onboarding process consists of going through Edmonds
College’s Human Resources processes, a background check, and receiving a college’s
Here are the steps:
- After receiving your card, notify your intended supervisor via email. (DO NOT include a photo or information regarding your card as it contains sensitive information.)
- Students will fill out a “Personnel Action Form (PAF)” with assistance from their
respective supervisor AND a “Background Request” to Human Resources.
- After submitting the two documents, Human Resources will reach out with further information and additional forms needed to be completed as we await your background check. Students cannot work or volunteer until the entire process is complete.
Ready to Work: Your supervisor will receive a confirmation email from Human Resources and IT confirming you are set to work at Edmonds College. Once you have received a confirmation from the intended supervisor you have completed the onboarding process, you are ready to get started in your new position!
Actively Working Requirements:
While in a student employee position, students must:
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per quarter (10 credit hours if you are an international student).
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA AND a minimum 2.0 Quarterly GPA.
- Pay all fees (if you owe).
- Be in Good Academic Standing with Edmonds College.
Working on Campus:
- International Students are only allowed to work on the Edmonds College campus, except with employment authorization from
USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for curricular or optional practical
training (OPT). International students interested in working should contact an OIP
Advisor for more information and to check eligibility.
- Students can work up to a maximum of 19 hours per week during the academic quarter
and weeks. If you are looking to work two or more jobs, please discuss this with your
respective supervisor(s) to discuss the distribution of hours.
- Students can work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week (no more than 8 hours per day) during breaks and approved vacation quarters.
TIP: Check the number of hours you were hired to work in your position’s description or by asking your respective supervisor. Students can work up to 19 hours a week but are only hired to work between 10 to 16 hours per week.
If you have any questions, feel free to email any of the CSEL Professional Staff listed on the Supervisor Contacts page. Here at CSEL, we are happy to assist as best as we can!