Posted Sept. 23 - Serving and supporting students and the community remotely. Please do not come to campus unless you have an in-person class or a child at the Center for Families. Text us your questions at 425.243.0867.
COVID-19 updates | Fall 2020 Back to School Guide | Get ready to learn online | Center for Families is open!
Center for Student Engagement & Leadership

International Student

Hiring Process

International Students enhances all of us at Edmonds College. You strengthen our diverse community on campus and in our neighborhoods. Here is some information to assist International Students (F1 Visa) when applying to work in the Center for Student Engagement & Leadership.

How to Obtain a Social Security Number:

All international students must have a social security number to work on campus. Similarly, DACA (Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals) students need to have an authorized work permit for the time period of August 27, 2020-June 15, 2021.

Here is the process:

  • Student is offered a position on the Edmonds College campus
  • Student gives Office of International Programs (OIP) a letter (it must be printed on Edmonds College letterhead) from their new supervisor confirming they have a job.
  • Student fills out a “Letter Request Form”, online.
  • After OIP receives the letter request, a letter is created confirming the student attends Edmonds College. This letter AND the employment confirmation letter must be given to the Social Security Office.
  • OIP staff contacts the student to pick up the letters and a social security application packet and provide assistance of what documents to bring to the Social Security Office.

(Note: In most cases the student will receive their Social Security card within seven (7) business days.)

Other Requirements:

Students must:

  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits per quarter
  • Have a minimum 2.5 Cumulative  GPA  and a minimum of 2.0 GPA per quarter
  • Pay all Fees (if you owe)
  • Have in Good Standing with Edmonds College

Human Resources Required Paperwork: 

  • Original Passport, I-20 Document, I-94 Document
  • W-4, Demographic Form, Direct Deposit Form (Optional), DRS Form, [HR will provide these]
  • Required background check [HR will do this}

Additional Information:

  • International Students are only allowed to work on Edmonds College campus, except with employment authorization from USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) for curricular or optional practical training (OPT). International students interested in working can contact an Office of International Programs Advisor for more information and to check eligibility.
  • During the quarter, students can work a total of 19 hours per week.
  • Students may also work full time on campus (up to 40 hours per week, no more than 8 hours per day) during breaks and approved vacation quarters.

If you have any questions, please contact OIP is here to help.