Office of International Programs

working on campus

Employment on Campus

International students holding F-1 visa may work on campus only. Students must also maintain a 12 credit class load and have a 2.0 grade point average. Government funded work study positions are not available to international students.

Students may also work full time on campus (up to 40 hours per week) during breaks and approved vacation quarters. If working during the summer quarter, students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits or be on an authorized vacation quarter. In addition, students must also register for fall quarter.

Employment off Campus

F-1 visa holders must have permission to work off campus. Optional Practical Training (OPT) is an immigration option that allows international students to work in the U.S. in a job related to their major. Students normally work for six months up to one year after after graduation. Some students may also apply for CPT if working is a requirement to graduate from their program.

How to Get a Social Security Number

  • Apply, interview, and obtain a position on campus. Students can do this via the Career Action Center or directly with any department.
  • Get a letter from an employer verifying the offer/acceptance of a position on campus.
  • Fill out the Letter Request Form and submit to Office of International Programs. Students will be contacted when the letter is ready for pick-up; it may take up to one week.
  • Students will receive, upon receipt of their letter, directions to the nearest two Social Security offices, and additional directions on how to fill out the application materials. In most cases, the student will receive the card within 7-10 business days.

Filing Taxes

All international students who worked in 2020 and received a "W-2" Form from their employer must file a tax return. This needs to be done on or before April 15, 2021. 

Please have the following items ready and follow along with our Tax Workshop Video 2020*

*This is last year's presentation for 2019 taxes. You can follow along with the workshop as a guideline but keep in mind it may not be up to date for this year. Please update the different years and any forms that may have changed. Please note that in our video we use tax form 1040NR-EZ. This year 2021, you may only use 1040NR which is different from the video.*

  • Social Security Card
  • Passport
  • W-2(s) received from your employer
  • Your Bank Account Information (routing and account number)
  • I-94 or a list of dates your traveled outside the U.S. in 2020

Other resources to help you file your tax return: