CHIANG MAI, THAILAND | fall, summer quarters
The Chiang Mai program is the perfect opportunity to live and study in a lively, vibrant city in one of the most scenic areas of an already very beautiful country. The curriculum integrates multiple disciplines in order to respond to the ever-changing issues and events surrounding the country and region. The program is ideal for students who are interested in the economics, philosophy, politics, religions, culture, and language of Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries, in a city that is manageable, walkable, exotic, and unforgettable. In exploring Chiang Mai and the surrounding area, you will discover both what makes it a beloved part of Thailand for visitors and locals alike; though a popular destination, while living and studying there you will find easy access to non-touristy areas for a unique, colorful, profound experience.
Fall: Mid August to Early December
Summer II: Early July to Mid August
- Are at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Are enrolled in a degree-seeking program while they are abroad.
- Have a preferred grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Are in good academic, disciplinary, and community standing.
When you apply for a USAC Program, a coordinator for the program from USAC will reach out to the Edmonds College for approval. Our office will require an advising appointment if you have not had one yet.
Please note that students that have been sanctioned by the college are disqualified from applying to, or participating in, an Edmonds College study abroad program.
Fall: Application Here (Due May 15)
Summer II: Application Here (Due May 1)
NOTE: Edmonds College will NOT be able to approve any other USAC programs that are not the above terms due to incompatability with our quarter schedules.
Courses will vary depending on the term. Find the page for all course information here.
- Thai and Chinese Language (Prerequisites needed for Chinese language)
- Health and Wellness
- Thai Culture and Asian Studies
- Sustainability and Social Enterprise
- Field trips to places like temples, Chiang Rai, Lampang Province, and Mae Kampong
- Cultural Immersion like talks with local Buddhist monks, hiking, volunteering, local NGOs, local markets, and Thai kickboxing
- For an additional fee: Tours and Field Studies to local craft artisans, jungle treks
with elephants, visiting a Hill Tribe, Chiang Mai Historical Tour, and Doi Inthanon
The apartments are within walking distance to campus and convenient to Chiang Mai Airport. Typically, these options are fully furnished double rooms equipped with air-conditioning, hot and cold water, small refrigerator, and high speed internet for daily or monthly rental. Many affordable and convenient restaurants and cafes are nearby. Most of them are located in the heart of Chiang Mai’s most chic district with easy access to the best shopping and entertainment areas, the central business district called Nimman Haemin. Housing fees (rent for double occupancy) are included in the summer program fees.
These apartments are only available for semester and yearlong students. Nandamalee Apartments are located right around the corner from Uniloft Dormitory and are within walking distance to campus and convenient to Chiang Mai Airport.
These apartments are fully furnished, studio-style rooms with air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, a small refrigerator, microwave, and cable TV. Many affordable and convenient restaurants and cafes are nearby. This housing options is great for students who want more independence, privacy, and want to be a little more removed from the bustling student life in Chiang Mai. (Available to female students only).
PROGRAM FEES: For 2022 Below
- Tuition and fees
- Housing (double occupancy)
- USAC prearranged housing placement service
- Personalized pre-departure advising
- Visa guidance
- Parental support and advisement
- Scholarship advising and assistance
- Transcript assistance
- Student health insurance
- Group flight airport pick-up (subject to availability)
- Mandatory on-site orientation
- Host university student ID card, with access to all campus facilities
- 24-hour local emergency staff support
- Program-organized field trips
- Local travel resources, tips, and suggestions
- Volunteer opportunities
Does Not Include:
- Individual flight if you do not apply to the group flight, or it is not available
- Personal expenses (souvenirs, etc.)
- Textbooks and class supplies
- Visa, if applicable
- Passport, if applicable
- Local transportation, transportation to and from program site (metro pass, etc)
- School uniform (3 shirts and 2 bottoms)
- Required travel insurance